Wednesday, March 29, 2006



I have been working on a page from a medieval book of hours. Not the one in the picture, exactly, but similar. It's an invocation to Saint Catherine, in Latin, and I've been inscribing and illuminating it on a piece of paper I made that turned out a nice brownish aged color with a slightly grainy finish. (I know, this sounds like "I'm reconstructing the Battle of Britain out of shredded wheat", but I tell you, this quitting smoking does bizarre things to me) I've been comfortably plodding along, probably put in eight hours on the one page so far. I'm not happy with the size and spacing of my letters, but I've got the hang of making faint red lines to write on. And the illumination I like, I didn't get too fancy. Not sure why I felt the urge to start a book of hours, but there you are.

2 comments:

Delia said...

That's gorgeous! I've always wanted to learn to do that!

Edward said...

"reconstructing the Battle of Britain out of shredded wheat"