Saturday, April 08, 2006

I figured it was only a matter of time. A young man who has been spending a lot of time at our house is coming to stay. His mother is working in Yellowknife and his grandfather is going hunting. I said, yes he could come stay with us. I'm not sure we really need another teenager of any description in this house, but oh well.

Tomorrow I'm going to a baby shower. While I was looking for a present this afternoon I started thinking about all those years of cleaning up... fluids... and other stuff that comes out of babies. My kids are all finally at the stage where if they need to barf they do it in the bathroom rather than all over the floor. For a while, having three kids in four years, I felt as if I would always be covered in kid guck. Not to mention the furniture.

There are other things, now. Like that Franz Ferdinand song and then some other one about 'you're so beautiful' that get played over and over again. And there's never any orange juice left and I don't know what they do with forks. Perhaps amassing a trousseau. And the stupid girl song, by Pink. I was told this afternoon that her name's Alicia something or other. I replied, "I never really thought her parents named her Pink."

5 comments:

Edward said...

I like that song by Pink. You wouldn't beleive what a challenge that is for me to admit. While I am baring my soul I might as well admit that I used to do a bag routine to one of her other songs because the beat was so fast and so strong, I got a workout keeping up.

Delia said...

That whole album is great. I listen to it sometimes on my drive to work, which winds me up before my first class. :)

kaiela said...

I like Pink. My objection is to the seemingly endless tolerance of teenagers for one song on replay for most of... a month. At the moment it's the stupid girls song....

Delia said...

Oh definitely. I remember doing that myself at that age, but that ability to identify with the behavior doesn't make it less irritating when kids do that. And good taste doesn't make it less irritating either.

Edward said...

Music becomes an anthem for kids that age, I think. Its like the background music in the dramatic story unwinding in their heads.

The only good thing is that they burn out on the song in about 40-60 days.