Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Miguel bought me a jigsaw puzzle. 750 pieces, a sort of pastoral scene of a stone wall with a wrought iron gate in it, and trees behind. So lots of stone pieces and lots of leaf pieces. I've been working on it every spare moment since the weekend. It's done now. He says he won't buy me any more because I was obsessed with this one.

I've been working on compiling our domestic violence statistics, at work, for a community plan intended to address family violence. The research makes for depressing reading, on the whole. I had to plough through a lot of cases, because the statute for assault (sec. 266) includes all kinds of assaults. So in some cases I had to ask around -- a man assaulted a woman but are they partners? Although jealousy seems to be a common flashpoint, most of the reports are also linked to over-consumption of alcohol. And then I found a statistic on the StatsCan site, to the effect that if your partner is a drinker -- that is, drinks five or more drinks at least once a week -- you are SIX times more likely to be a victim of domestic violence.

One thing that surprised me with the cases here is that although some of the women who were assaulted eventually refused to cooperate and no charges were laid (the Crown will not support the police going ahead with charges if there are no co-operative witnesses) all of the men who were assaulted by their partners were co-operative and charges were laid against the women. Granted, more men were still charged than women.

So I don't know if this is just a Nunavut thing? We've got such huge rates of personal victimization in the first place. Statistics are interesting... (really...)

2 comments:

Edward said...

I don't know what to make of domestic violence issues. When I first started in this business I was really heart stricken by the image of the battered woman who is held hostage to her abuser.

I have found that image is counter to reality in so many ways. There are these very disfunctional relationships with men and women who are violent with one another in ways that defy explanation.

Men beat women, but often those women are beating men right back. I don't know if there is any solution for a lifetime of this sort of communication.

I guess I have become cynical by the abused/abusers who take their abused/abusers right back into their homes. Those who get protective orders and then invite their significant others back in anyway.

Its just so tiring to comprehend.

kaiela said...

Even the cases where the charges are laid and things go to trial -- by that time they have 'reconciled' and the one who is supposed to be a witness is suddenly stricken with memory loss. The police really hate that. And yes, tiring. Very.