Monday, August 14, 2006

I've only got just over two weeks of work left. I'm sad about that. They will continue to employ me, as a guard, and probably to do the cleaning, but I won't get to do all the fun stuff I have been doing. We're very busy right now because of this... and other midnight activities of the more adult variety.

I worked all weekend. Not on purpose, so much, as I went on Saturday at lunch time to wash the floor in the main building (Friday was a muddy day... when it rains in this place the mud is like concrete) and was met by a panicked guard who had been working since 4am and REALLY wanted to go home. Her relief had failed to show. I arranged for someone else to come in at 4, the next shift change, and he stood me up too. So by the time I got home I'd been away for almost nine hours. The problem with doing impromptu guard shifts, that I've found in the past, is that you are stuck either reading old Reader's Digests or watching the one channel on the television. All the drunks in the tank were sleeping, so no entertainment there. I like it better when I know I'm going and I can take my writing or reading or crocheting. Or all three, in case my mood changes halfway through.

2 comments:

Delia said...

There is nothing so annoying as having a lot of time in which to do nothing. That's usually the time I make out grocery lists, but if I have no paper...yeah, I go buggy.

kaiela said...

sometimes the drunks are chatty, but the conversations don't make a lot of sense. I like the bit when they wake up later and don't know how they got in the tank...