Saturday, September 16, 2006

FarNorth Lockup Blues

4am witness statements and
instant coffee, he said
it's over and I tried to
give him back his
ring

drunks are snoring until
woken by coffee and
the arrival of those who
work in the
day

can I have a cup of
water and a blanket, needs
are few in the dark
and then he banged my
head on the steps and
I said grow up,
baby

a drunk with a few teeth
says he'll meet me at
the Lodge for lunch.

Sometimes my hand is shaken
sometimes, hugs.
cleaning cells I find my name
in one handwriting
and 'bitch'
in another
and I know it's a boy
who I wouldn't let
have a smoke

soon, snow. soon, darkness
one day I won't smell of cheap vodka
and unwashed blankets
I'll be asleep at 4 am, without the
voices in my head, and there will
be no instant coffee, no news
in Inuktitut.
Mamiana. such a shame

No comments: