Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday


Yesterday we did drive to Makena, and saw the lava fields. I had imagined a smooth surface, but the lava was all chunky. The road was frighteningly narrow, and there were a few too many cars for the circumstances. We found a beach, Big Beach, where the waves were crashing, and Rachel filled her swimsuit with sand. I always find that I'm nervous about our stuff, that someone will wander by and steal our sweaty shoes and damp towels. I'm forever chcking for room key, wallet, rental car keys.

We've been listening to the soundtrack to Mamma Mia, endlessly, and singing along. I think it will probably now always take me back to road-tripping with Rachel, and palm trees, and winding roads.

Today we went up to Haleakala, the volcano, Rachel was brave and suppressed her fears. Steep switchback roads up through beautiful countryside, views down 10,00 feet and I can see why they would think the gods lived up there, on the roof of the world. Apparently sunrise is the time to be up there, but I can't see myself doing those roads in the dark, somehow. Tomorrow, a luau.

No comments: