Monday, April 17, 2006

Last night when we went for dinner with Miguel's coworkers, they asked me, "What do you do now?" I was working at the health centre for a while, but then I got offered a position with the police, to fill a maternity leave. I do just about everything, really, that they'll let me, lots of paperwork, talking to anyone who comes to the door, helping people with pardon applications and criminal records checks and drivers licenses, chatting with lonely people and drunk people and people who need the police. I'm working on organizing all their files, they've only had someone in the position I'm doing sporadically over the last few years and there's a lot to do. And I've been updating all their contingency and emergency plans, and their contact lists. I feel useful. And, I've found, that the constables and the sergeant genuinely care very deeply about the inhabitants of this out-of-the-way little community, and do everything they can to help.... they are very gentle, and they work very hard. They let me deal with a lot of things on the phone, making it so that sending the police is not the first response, if a little bit of listening is really all that's needed. I'm learning a lot...

3 comments:

Edward said...

If you are not careful you are going to make yourself irreplaceable.

Autumn said...

kate,
oh, my dear friend. i miss you dearly. i'm so sorry i haven't kept in touch better, but we're kindred spirits - always connected somehow. i can't wait to come visit, maybe this summer? please tell your girls i say hello
lots of love,
carley

kaiela said...

I promise to be more careful :)

hey, that's Carley with a shaved head! You're even cute, with no hair, chickie.