Thursday, July 03, 2003

went to a barbecue at Joy's house tonight. I actually drove, which gave me obsessive worries all day, but it was ok. Even though I got lost and contemplated eating the sushi I was bringing and heading home, I found her house in the end. It was a bit bizarre, because everyone else had significant others in tow, and I didn't. Kirsten had very kindly agreed to babysit for me, but I promised I'd be home by eight, so I didn't bother bringing anything to barbecue since I don't eat meat anyway and drew a blank as to what I'd consider cooking. Of course, that meant that everyone kept asking me "You're not eating?" To which I replied, "No, I'm not staying." Which really didn't make sense in the end as I stayed until they were ready to have dessert. The mayor was there, and Joy's barbecue sprung a leak and sprouted alarming flames underneath. (Unrelated facts, but there you have it.)

Tonight I'm working on a paper. In a little while I will put the kids to bed, and I don't have to get up to go to work in the morning so I can please myself whether I go to bed or not. I went down to the booth this morning to check in on Joseph, who was meant to be working, and he seemed to be doing fine. Rachel wants us to go to Newcastle Island tomorrow for a picnic, so we'll see what the weather does. I'm quite enjoying my mini holiday...

No comments: