Tuesday, May 18, 2021

 All right.  Talk about something else.  

Rachel had said to me, when we were putting our shoes on to go back down to the bridge on Saturday (she visits on the weekends and parks down by the bridge, because the river is in the way and only has a pedestrian bridge, but driving here by the road takes three times as long - so I walk down to meet her and then we walk the dog, come back to the house and visit, then I walk her back to her car so we can keep chatting) "Aren't you bringing your bear spray?"  I told her, no, we weren't going far but when I was coming up the hill by the farm with the sheep and goats I could hear something crashing in the bush so I stopped.  A large black thing was down by the fence on the other side of the pasture.  As I watched, it stood up and started climbing over the fence, black and furry, must have been five feet tall at least when standing full up.  My brain registered that it could be a bear, but it still looked kinda like a man in a fur suit.  It flopped over the fence and curled up in a ball on the other side, as if laughing at itself, then got up and ambled off on all fours.  (Away from me, I should add).

So I'm not leaving the house without my bear spray now.  

No comments: